Because learning to cope with a global pandemic is the new normal, these resources are offered as coping strategies when staying at home as much as possible is the safest option. Feel free to use these resources with the health care provider of your choice, share with friends for discussion or use for self study.
It is never too late to learn how to improve emotional intelligence and coping skills. Referencing the movie “Inside Out,” this video explains how embracing uncomfortable emotions rather than avoiding, shaming or fearing them, is the healthy way to cope with moods. (6 min)
Understand YOURSELF: Feelings are what we have the most of and know the least about; handle them or they will handle you (18 min)
Forgiveness in an Age of Anger | Brant Hansen | TEDxHarrisburg (12 min) "We think we're entitled to "righteous anger", but is it really so righteous? And does anger actually help us fight injustice?"
Use this video to calm your mind and center yourself with self-compassion. Pema Chödrön & Tami Simon: Compassionate Abiding" on YouTube April 30 2020 40 min.
Tool # 1 General anxiety| (4 min)
Tool # 2 Martha Beck PhD| Harnessing fear (9 min)
Tool # 3 4 Ways to Stop an Anxiety Spiral | SuperSoul Sunday | Oprah Winfrey Network (4 min)
Tool # 4 100 days without fear | Michelle Poler | TEDxHouston.(2015) 15 min
Book for parents with anxious children, "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety"
1. Andrew Solomon takes you across the world to interview others with depression (Ted talk 30 min)
2. This could be why you are depressed and anxious |Jon Hari |TEDSummit 2019| 21 min.
3. We don't "move on" from grief. We move forward with it 12 min. (Nora McInerny | TEDWomen 2018)
4. The Secret of Becoming Mentally Strong | Amy Morin | TEDxOcala (15 min)
Need emotional skills? Help for men--it's ok to embrace emotional health
1 A call to men: changing how we role model emotions | Tony Porter |Ted| 11 min
2. Anger, Compassion: What It Means To Be Strong | Russell Kolts | TEDxOlympia (13 min)
3. Author of Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress Free Living, Happy Brain: How to Overcome Our Neural Predispositions to Suffering | Amit Sood, MD | TEDxUNI| 18 min
1. The psychology of post-traumatic stress disorder | Joelle Rabow Maletis | TED-Ed| 5 min
2. Bipolar Depression: What is bipolar disorder? 6 min (Helen M. Farrell | TED-Ed)
3. How to think in shades of grey, (balanced and logical perspective) avoid thinking in extremes of either catastrophe or perfect ” 4 min
Psychologist Kelly McGonigal urges us to see stress as a positive. We are not distressed by things, but by our view of things. Changing your attitude about stress, saves your life. | 13 min | 2013
1. How do you deal with jerks at work? Podcast| Adam Grant | 47 min .
2. Want more Adam Grant? Adam Grant podcast series through TED.com podcasts
3. Are you a giver or a taker? | Adam Grant | Ted@IBM 14 min video
4 . Workplace culture | David Logan Tedx (16:39 min)
1. We are all hiding something, let's find the courage to open up | Ash Beckham Ted (9 min)
2. Listening to shame| Brene Brown PhD. | Ted. 2012 | 21 min
3. Why your critics aren’t the ones who count | Brene Brown PHD| 2013 |22 min
4.Susan Cain author of Quiet | Ted talk | Introverts are valuable. (19 min)